Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God


Today's entry was originally going to be about how last night Kirk Windstein became my new god ( Pete and i had a Crowbar/Down/Kingdom Of Sorrow party last night and truely discovered "the riff") but thats all going to have to wait.
Everything changed today when there was a knock on my door at 8.30am.
At first i thought it may be my annoying neighbour who lives below me, but it wasent, it was the girl from the bottom floor and she had something in her hand.
She said "he left this at our door" and passed me a package, straight away i knew what it was and i knew what i would be doing for the next few hours. See, my friend Todd called me a few days ago and told me that he had sent me a package with Blacklisted's new record ( both LP and CD formats) and a shirt. Thanks brother.
I have been waiting to sit down and really listen to this record since he told me after they finished recording it that it was like an album length version of Peace On Earth, War On Stage. When i first heard that 7" it floored me, i loved everything about it, and the song "Memory Layne" was going to be a hard one to top.
So, for the last 2 hours i have listened to the LP, imported the cd onto my ipod and have been sitting here with it on repeat since, and i think iam listening to my favourite record of 08 and its only March. I dont know where to begin really, iam not very good at reviewing things, but if your reading this and dont already own it, go and BUY it right now.
I'll be honest though, when i first heard "I Am Weighing Me Down" when they launched on their myspace page, i was a little disappointed, i had a similar feeling as to when i first heard "We're Down Till We're Underground", i was like this is good, but not really what i was hoping for, even though that is selfish to "hope" for something from someone else's record.
Anyway, so after i listened to that song once on their page i told myself i wouldn't listen to it again until i had the whole record in my hands and i could listen to all the songs. Well a few days/weeks later they added another new song "Matrimony", and like a sucker i was back at their page listening to it.
That song assured me that this was going to be the record i was waiting for, but again i didnt want to listen to it again, as i wanted the wait to be worth it when i finally had that record in my hands.
But, again, when they launched the whole album for streaming on their page, i just couldn't help myself, but again i only listened to it once. Iam not sure what it was, but my anticipation for this record just kept dragging me back in and as much as i just wanted to wait until i had the whole finished product in my hand i just couldn't.
So, today i sit here with both the LP and cd in front of me, and what do it think?
I think its an amazing record, that's what i think, you can really feel that the members have given themselves to this record. They have gone out on a limb and made the record that THEY wanted to make, and in life , i think, that's when the best things are created, when you are doing it for you and no one else.
I love how the album flows, i read that the placement of "Circuit Breaker" at the end of side a, and "Wish" at the end of side b to finish the record ( 2 songs that are definite highlights of the album) was definitely an intentional thing and it works great. If you load this album into your itunes you will see what they have done for yourself, side a races to its peak at "Circuit Breaker" and side b races to its own peak at "Wish".
The artwork, i love the cover, it is very similar to our cover i guess, a dude just standing there out in the open facing his demons( our guy is naked though, haha)
The LP opens to a huge picture of a blonde girl and a shovel and some flowers, at first i didnt really "get it", but after checking out the cd booklet you work out that each picture resembles what the song on the same page is about, which is pretty clever.
On the cover of the cd booklet it is another girl, but this time she is smoking a cigarette, i know this is petty, but i fucking hate smoking, and that's not cause iam Mr straightedge it's cause i grew up with a Mum that smoked inside our house and i know how much smelling someone's second hand smoke every day fucking sucks ( who reading this has toured europe?, haha). So yeah i dont really like that picture, haha.
But overall the artwork just complements the lyrics ( which i didn't even get into here, but are fucking great, think bearing your soul for the world to see) and the lyrics just complement the music.
I think i am just rambling now, just go out and get it and listen for yourself, me, i just cant wait until i am watching these songs played right in front of me.
I have nothing to prove, i have nothing to prove, i have nothing to prove, i have nothing prove, i have nothing to prove, i have nothing to prove, i have nothing to prove, i have nothing to prove...

No comments: