Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ashley Pederick (The Design Threat, Miles Away, Blkout!)


1- Blkout!, how long have you been jamming it out? When's the EP out? How have the first few shows gone?


We started jamming during May 2007 in my garage between games of Ping Pong. We recorded six tracks at the end of June which will be out on disc through Commonbond Records on the 20th of October, and also on Vinyl through our own label, Suppression Records, a bit later in the year. Make sure you check it out. Jumped on our first show with Hardluck in late June, just before we recorded, then didn't play our second one till mid-September for Miles Away return shows at HQ.


2- You recently went to the states, what were some highlights? What bands were good?


The States was off the chain! Highlights include meeting the almighty Natas Kaupas, eating 'Grilled Cheeses' at IN 'N' OUT Burger, drinking XXX Vitamin Water, watching Baseball 24-7 and seeing a ton of bands - to cut the story short! Bitter End at Sound & Fury Warmup show blew me away. Their stage presence was huge, as is their new LP 'Climate of Fear'. Jungle Boogeying to Lion of Judah. Fucked Up at the Knitting Factory in New York was nothing short of EPIC. Also a new Boston band called Step Forward that DFJ drums in, still bringin' the groove. Last, but not least, seeing Pennywise for the first time at Warp Tour - even if it was 45 degrees.


3- How was playing bass in MA? You there for good or what bro?


I love it, they are all good friends, so I was siked when they asked me to fill in and hang on tour. Never really played bass before either too, so it's been fun doing something different to the 'usual'. I'm happy doing it as long as they want me to.The Rewind Repeat tour with Homewrecker was rad. Lots of Entourage, Overnight drives, Dr. Pepper, Electric Helicopters and classic Thunder-chicken moments. CG...


4- How's Perth doing? Please tell me HQ is still alive...


Perth is still isolated as ever but on the upside a lot more bands are coming here than in the past. In general I think most kids are becoming a bit slack lately with coming to shows and supporting all the bands that make it over here. We have our ups and downs like most towns that's for sure, so hopefully there's a big 'UP' on it's way. If you're reading this either: a) start a band, b) put on a show, c) make a zine instead of sitting on message boards or d) do all of the above. What can be done tomorrow, can be done today! As for Australia's best All Age Venue - HQ Skatepark is still alive and running thanks to the one and only 'Dudeman' who has a featured interview in my zine called Shiftfit dropping at the end of the year.


5- How many thousand bands are you designing shit for this week? How is all that stuff going?


Busy as usual. Being away for two months meant a lot of work built up at home, but luckily I took my laptop to the states so I could do some while I was on the road.. Stuff that I have recently finished is the new Snake Eyes 7" out on 1917, a Bane/Have Heart/Ceremony European Tour Poster, some shirts for Bane, Modern Life Is War & Cruel Hand. A shirt for your derelic band, Long-sleeves for Parkway Drive and Her Nightmare. Finally sorted out Blkout's shizz & currently sketching up Battletruk's art for their new full-length. I'm not even going to get into my to-do list.

No comments: