Monday, May 26, 2008

Thanks Ricky


Last week one of my best friends in the world, Ricky Taylor, moved back home after living the past 2 and a half years in Canada. Its great having him back and hanging out again, and it got me to thinking.
He is the person who first got me into hardcore, and he did that the same way alot of people show others music, by making me a mixtape. But this was not just any mixtape, i have reason to believe that this is the greatest hardcore mixtape in the existance of hardcore mixtapes. 
I still to this day have the tape, and i will to the day that i die. Alot of the bands on the tape are still my favourite bands, and it was such a great introduction to the world of Hardcore.
So thanks brother, i can safely say that the cassette tape you gave me all those years ago actually changed my life.
Here are the songs that when combined join forces to make the greatest mixtape of all time.

SIDE A

Breakdown- Sick People
Negative Approach- Ready To Fight
Underdog- Say It To My Face
Raw Deal- Brightside
Darkside NYC- Clawing And Tearing
Breakdown- Safe In A Crowd
Rest In Pieces- Stark Raving Nude
Sheer Terror- Here To Stay
Side By Side- Backfire
Crumbsuckers- Shits Creek
Breakdown- Life Of Bullshit
Negative Approach- Fair Warning
Underdog- True Blue
Token Entry- Look Around
Negative Approach- Dead Stop
Rest In Pieces- Balls N All
Side By Side- My Life To LIve
Breakdown- Vengeance
Rest In Pieces- Bittermind
Breakdown- You Gotta Fight
Breakdown- Kickback
Breakdown- Labelled

SIDE B

Cro-Mags- We Gotta Know
Cro-Mags- World Peace
Bold- Wise Up
Nausea- Fallout Of Our Being
Warzone- As One
Warzone- Escape From Your Society
Gorilla Biscuits- Better Than You
Gorilla Biscuits- Forgotten
Trip 6- Back With A Vengeance
Youth Of Today- Together
Youth Of Today- Understand
Sick Of It All- Politics
Sick Of It All- Pete's Sake
Krackdown- Ignorance
Youth Defence League- Blue Pride
Supertouch- Searchin For The Light
Slapshot- Back On The Map
Slapshot- Whats At Stake
Slapshot- Fire Walker
Token Entry- Revelation
Token Entry- Think About It
Token Entry- Actions

Not bad right? Trust me, when a 12 year old plays this tape and hear's these songs for the first time, planets align.
I just realised there is no AF or Madball on the tape (2 of my fav's), but its still a fucking ripper.
I guess thats why i am more of a NYHC guy than Boston or Westcoast too.
Play with caution!


1 comment:

Chantal said...

The thing that' cool about an old, beloved mix tape is that you can only listen to it on special occasions because there is the fear that it could die at any minute.