Monday, June 2, 2008

Life And Death To Me


Not many people know that i have this tattoo. I got it after one of my old bands (Last Nerve) toured with Terror in 2003(fuck, that was 5 years ago?) It looked fucking awesome the week i got it, but then it kinda ran, i guess it was the red ink?, anyway, Terror came along at a time in my life when i was starting to lose interest rapidly in hardcore, i had even begun growing my thick as fuck hair out (after touring with SOIA my nickname became wig it was that bad) and was wearing jeans way more than any kid that lives in Australia should.
I remember the first time i heard Terror, it was in Adelaide at my brother Dan Smith's place.
He had just returned home from the states and was raving about how good they were and he showed me their demo. I'm not sure why, but i wasn't instantly into it. I dubbed a copy of the demo and over the next few months it was all i listened to.
Not long after that"Lowest Of The Low" came out, and it was then that i was fucking hooked.
Not only was the music fucking hard, but the lyrics were right up my alley. It was like someone had  crept into my brain when i was asleep, stole my thoughts and used them, haha.
And then after touring with them, it further cemented in my mind that this band was the real deal. They were hardcore kids playing hardcore music, nothing more nothing less. The years (and some members) may have passed, but nothing has changed.
They just released a new record, "The Damned, The Shamed" and its fucking great, go out and get it and keep an eye on this page for a review soon.
But while I'm on Terror, i want to talk about the early musical collaboration that formed the band and wrote their first songs. Nick Jett, Scott Vogel and Todd Jones. These 3 dudes are not only (i think) 3 of the best at what they do  that have come along in the last 10 years (forever?), but they are/were all on the same page not only musically but mentally. The lyrics to any of the songs on "Lowest Of The Low" (esp Keep Your Distance) could of been written by any of these dudes. 
Both Nick and Todd have also written a song for No Apologies, and i only just thought about this but the songs both start with the same first 2 notes. Coincidence or not, the dudes are on the same page.

(Edit- I know this blog is meant to be all about the 5 q's, but i havent had time lately, plans are in place for some fresh new ones though, questions will be sent soon)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man the year or so either side of that first terror tour was the best year of my life hands down.

remember that fucking canberra show? fuck.