Sunday, March 1, 2009

George Hirsch (Blacklisted)



1- Blacklisted toured pretty much non stop in 08. Tell me some shows/places/experiences both good or bad that stick out to you for whatever reasons.

Australia as a whole was the best experience. For me it was a dream to just go there, let alone be able to play music. On top of that we were greatly accepted beyond any expectation I had. I would put out records just go to there and play shows, I wish it worked that way. Japan was very similar to that. All the shows we played though out the year were for the most part beyond any expectation we held to tell you the truth. I feel like sound and fury for us was pretty awkward, the lights were on and it just felt weird and uncomfortable playing. However this is hardcore was the complete opposite, it was dark and just really comfortable. The whole year was like a dream.


2- I upset a few people by saying the word faggot on stage at S&F. Do people really compare that word with the 'N" word over there?
Because here they really are two opposite parallels, and the "F" word really does get thrown around with gay abandon (pun intended, haha) and is not used as an insult towards gay people or by homophobic cross burners(well not around where i live anyway)


I think they are very similar. Its pretty clear cut what they are both mean, so I will not get into that, However whether it be an African American or a Homosexual, the thing it really boils down to is respect and using either of those words is the opposite of that, it is just plain disrespectful. Why would anyone want to use a word with so many negative vibes around it, especially in hardcore which is gaged for such a more open minded audience? Its crazy to me to see people use either word. Recently it feels in hardcore that it is acceptable to use words that hold that much weight. I've confronted people using both words and it always turns into, well I was just calling my friend a "nigger" or a "faggot", but he is neither so its not disrespectful, its just playful. But the reality is it is even more disrespectful. When your friend is fulfilling some stereotype created around an African American or a Homosexual and you call him those words, its like you are cosigning that those words are the truth and acceptable. Its just ignorant, Ignorant and disrespectful is the best way to put it, It sucks that people still speak like that. On top of all that, say you're band is on stage and you use those words, you are ostracizing anyone in the audience who may be homosexual or African American, which is a shame because we all come to hardcore/punk to get away from the ostracizing nature of real life, when it starts to happen in the place we come to for that escape, it becomes even more of a problem. When you used it on stage I was surprised because you are such an intelligent and respectful person it kind of caught me off guard. I understand what you were "trying" to say in that moment, but there could have been a better word to use you know? Another thing I find odd, Is the bands that preach like loyalty and family and brotherhood etc etc, we all know the type, they are the first bands to use faggot or nigger, its crazy to me. Its crazy in 2009 that I see this as an issue, or even you see it as an issue to bring it up to me. Doesn't it seem like this is an issue that should have been figured out, years ago?


3- You know i was stoked to be at shows over there and actually have a few people that weren't just rich white kids (Chaka not Chaka!) running around me (unlike Australia!), growing up in Philly was it quite multicultural? and for the most part will shows over there (i only really saw Cali) have a few African American/ Latino/ whatever else dudes repping?

Where I grew up was multi cultural yes. Shows on the east coast have generally been that way for my entire time in hardcore. But that in no way takes away from hardcore being a white heterosexual male dominated thing. As far as social class, I grew up below middle class, my family and friends families did the best they could, However I've met more kids in hardcore with money than I have who grew up in a similar situation I did, I don't see this as a good or bad thing, I don't tack growing up poor to being white/black/latino or whatever, being broke has no color. A lot of poor kids I know have shitty attitudes, so do a lot of kids I know with money, and some are the most kind hearted people I know, The wheel spins both ways. With that said, shows have always been great in the are I grew up in , Philadelphia, Nyc is an hour and half away, DC is three, Baltimore is an hour or so and if you want to get really crazy, Boston is about 5. I have no regrets about seeing bands because anyone that played a good amount of shows had to come through that area and I had more then enough opportunities to see them. You were so psyched at sound and fury ahah I remember,


4- You have recently started a new "blog" (that word fucking sucks) that so far has 2 great in depth i/v's and some personal writing.
Who else do you have plans on/have you started interviewing? and what do you hope to get out of it?


I don't have a specific goal I want to accomplish. Everyone I know always tells me to pursue writing, I guess this is my way of doing it but on my own terms. Interviews I have coming up, Justin Broadrick from Jesu/Godflesh/Napalm Death, Dan Yemin from Lifetime/Kid Dynamite/Paint It Black, I'd like to interview more people, I find interviews to be the most cathartic form of writing, I basically ask questions based on topics I feel and based on their answer it helps me feel better about myself or the world around me in its own strange way, I don't know if that makes sense.


5- Ok, this question is mandatory, no easy way out, i know your a music lover, so you gotta answer this, you are getting locked up for 10 years (fuck the standard your stranded on an island question, haha) and you can only take in an ipod with 10 albums on it to get you through that 10 years. What 10 albums are they?

I want to say I would pick some eclectic bunch of music, but I would probably stick with this that are comforting.

Supertouch-The Earth Is Flat.
Dinosaur Jr-Bug.
Nirvana-In Utero.
Jesu-Jesu.
Cro Mags-Age Of Quarrel.
Nas-Illmatic.
Neutral Milk Hotel-On Avery Island.
Catpower-Moonpix.

Fuck I don't know man this list sucks, I give up. Sorry.

1 comment:

Gijs W said...

what is the link to that blog?